A question I get asked a lot what can I do for my dry scalp?
Do you have Dry Scalp vs. Dandruff?
Dry scalp is a feeling of dryness on the scalp, a dry scalp can cause dandruff, but the two conditions are distinct. Dry scalp can be a result of extreme external conditions such as cold, hot and/or dry weather. Internal conditions dehydration or poor diet.
Much like dry scalp, dandruff has many causes and is usually associated with the presents of Malassezia a yeast-like fungus that grows on oily areas of the scalp. Dandruff flakes are usually larger than dry skin flakes and don't fall off the scalp easily. Dry scalp in contrast, occurs when the scalp does not produce enough moisture.
Understanding the difference between dandruff and dry skin can help with choosing the correct treatment.
First of all what are you not doing? Are you drinking plenty of water? Hydrate your skin from the inside out, both conditions can benefit from water.
How do you get rid of dry scalp?
- Exfoliate you scalp-A hair mask containing fruit enzymes or salicylic acid.
- Oil your scalp- Apply occasionally a few drops of oil. (tea tree, peppermint, rosemary and lavender.
How do you get rid of dandruff?
- A anti-fungal shampoo prescribed by a physician.
- A shampoo over the counter containing zinc pyrithione, selenium sulfide, and tar based shampoo.
- Or for a more holistic approach message 2 tablespoons of lemon juice into the scalp help balance oil production and restore pH balance or coconut oil which has strong antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.
Dandruff is not serious or contagious, but if left untreated, It can become so inflamed that it can cause temporary hair loss.